Marcie wrote:

... the Royal School of
Needlework recommends going without magnification for even the finest
work, tho a good strong light is crucial.

The original post on this (from Jane) also mentioned "I did notice that I am tempted to put in more
buttonhole stitches on the edge when I can see it so clearly. That's
a good reason to stick with my eyes and a good light."

I wanted to mention two things: first of all, it's amazing what a difference a strong raking light will make. A raking light is one that slants across your work from about 10 o'clock (or 10:30) height. I have an adjustable lamp that I keep next to my table for this. With even the finest work (needle lace or bobbin lace) you can see much more clearly in this light, as the shadows are strong and visible. (With overhead light the shadows are underneath the work, which doesn't help much)

The second thing is Jane's comment about packing in too many stitches - there is a sort of Zen state in which people pack their stitches perfectly. Some people have it naturally, some people train themselves to achieve it, and some people never learn it no matter how much they practice. While I'd never suggest to someone that deliberately keeping your vision foggy is part of a good technique, ;-), changing magnification may well alter your perception of the work and the visual cues you use to decide your stitch placement.

By the way, I have a magnifier that I rarely use, and the one time I did use it for a very fine major project, I found I developed headaches after a couple of hours (this was bobbin lace), while if I didn't use it I couldn't see as clearly and had my eye strain but I didn't get headaches.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)