On Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003, at 16:54 US/Eastern, Jane Viking Swanson wrote:

Hi All, Something else came up in Ithaca. I used a magnifier (fits on my
head and the lenses go up and down) for my Needlelace class
like I did when I learned Carrickmacross. Sumac's Withof teacher, Susie
Johnson, suggests that they go as long as they can without magnification.

I have to agree with Susie -- leave the magnifer off as long as you can. At least in BL, anyway :) In BL, you move by touch most of the time; after you know what your'e suposed to be doing, that is :). A properly pre-pricked pattern aids you in that; you don't need to *see*. When I used to do miniature needlepoint, I used to use a magnifying lamp on any canvas with more than 32holes per inch, but it was a pain in the, um, head... working through a magnifier, one's not working "in real time" as it were. I found I had to stop and rest my eyes *much* more frequently than when working on the pieces which did not require magnifcation. And, getting back into work, in its blown-up version, was very difficult. None of those problems appeared with even *slightly* larger canvas, which I could tackle by unaided eye-sight.

Now the BLers do have good lights

Some do, some don't :) As soon as Ott makes a *battery-operated* portable lamp, I'm going to buy one; untit then, I'll stick to utilising the natural light as much as possible, even if it means sticking my nose right *into* the pillow every once in a while :)

----
Tamara P Duvall
Lexington, Virginia,  USA
Formerly of Warsaw, Poland