Stainless steel pins rust, brass ones tarnish.  Not quite the same.  A 
similar chemical reaction in response to damp but the brass is less "violent".

I was once brought a Honiton pillow with a part worked piece by someone's 
recently deceased grandmother's work on it.  Could I please finish it as a little 
momento for them!!!  The design was a large floral spray, with only one bit 
done.  An assortment of pins had been used - all sizes, all materials, and 
they'd been in for quite a while.  I quickly decided I was unable to match the 
quality of the work <VBG> and the section that had been done was fine designwise 
as a stand-alone piece.  Also, it was much nicer that it was all Grandma's 
work.

The problem started when I tried to take out the pins.  They were all rusted 
or tarnished according to type.  The tarnished brass ones were a bit rough, 
but by twisting gently to "break the seal" they could fairly easily be withdrawn 
(usually, but not always,) leaving a green mark on the thread.  The rusted 
steel ones were a far bigger problem as the rust had "eaten" into both the 
pillow and the lace thread; each pin took a couple of minutes of gentle twisting 
and wriggling to remove and the mark left on the lace was much more intrusive, 
with the rust staining and altering the thread.

>From having a similar effect when I used a mix of lace and dressmaking pins 
when I cut out a garment that then sat for a (considerable) time before I made 
it up, I know that (on some fabrics at least,) the green tarnish marks will 
wash out in normal laundering.  Rust doesn't.  I am glad I was taught to only 
pin in the seam allowance when cutting out.

I looked in a couple of my older books and the emphasis is on brass rustless 
pins - I guess before central heating and especially when gas lighting was 
used the whole atmosphere would have been much damper in houses.  Although I do 
use heavy steel pins for course lace, I will only do so if the lace is to be on 
the pillow for a minimum time.

Regarding tarnished brass pins - there was a "recipe" given a few months ago 
for cleaning pins, but it got lost in my delete box so I can't help with this 
one.  But a pin cushion filled with emery powder will polish off any slight 
roughness and I don't find that dull-coloured pins discolour the lace.  Don't be 
in too much of a hurry to jettison your brass pins, they may be quite easily 
salvagable if someone can repost the magic recipe.

Jacquie

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to