Tamara,
The photos of your lace fan in the newest IOLI Bulletin are splendid. What a beautiful fan!
Thanks; for something that I designed half-way as a joke (figured everyone would make theirs "proper", folding ones, so made mine round, to remind everyone that not only aristocrats need fresh air sometimes <g>), it did turn out quite well. And Debra photos are always superb. My issue hasn't come yet; have something to look forward to now... My DH, being an academic (retired) values/respects publication more than I do, so I always make a point of showing him whenever there's something to show; for days afterwards there's no mention of cooking, cleaning, etc, never mind complaints about how much time I spend at the pillow/drawing board, or how un-feminine such obsessiveness is... :)
On Jan 11, 2004, at 19:53, Janice Blair wrote:
the back cover has the Southern Afternoon fan that Tamara entered in the fan competition about 4 years ago at convention.
Ooooh... That'll impress him even more; cover stuff is worth at least two weeks of "dispensation" :)
I was disappointed that it was not featured in more detail at that time and suggested to Debra that I would like to see it in closeup again.
Aha! *Now* I know whom I have to "thank" for having to go back, revise the diagrams and re-write the instructions (the puter ate them up in the change from PC to Mac... :) Thanks, girlfriend, I'll remember *that*; that work earned me a lot of complaints, more than a week off "housewifely duties" is worth...
On Jan 11, 2004, at 20:08, Ruth Budge wrote:
I seem to remember that Debra promised a pen to anyone who had a pattern
published - do you think she might be persuaded in my case to substitute a copy
of the magazine instead?? Do you think its worth asking??
Debra's IOLI-related e- is: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sure, it's worth asking. But IOLI no longer gives pens as "thank you's"; for the last two of my patterns I got beautiful, spangled Midlands bobbins instead, and, even though I don't use Midlands for working, I love them (much better than the pen; how many of those can one use? Especially when one's using a puter for most of one's correspondence? <g>) The idea is, essentially, the same as in the Lace Guild (UK) bobbins -- your name and the issue number of the Bulletin in which your pattern's been published is on it. But the IOLI bobbins are painted (in England, I think. By Margaret Wall, I think -- judging by the MW) rather than heat-etched (I forget the proper English term for the technique, sorry), with a big IOLI logo on the other side of the handle. Also, unlike the Lace Guild's ones, they do not seem to change colours from year to year (both of mine are pale wood, with blue painting), so the bottom beads are identical. But they're lovely -- painted with two bobbins crossed.
As an incentive to suppply more patterns for the Bulletin, they're much better than either the pen or an extra copy of the Bulletin (IMO)... But, of course, if you'd rather have an extra copy of the Bulletin... :)
----- Tamara P Duvall Lexington, Virginia, USA Formerly of Warsaw, Poland http://lorien.emufarm.org/~tpd/
- To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line: unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
