At 06:44 AM 2/4/2004, you wrote:
 So I would up pairs of bobbins with Perle 8 in aqua,
and instead of passing the threads over the gimp, I passed the linen threads
through the pair of Perle 5's and gave the gimps a twist (a la Russian tape
lace).<<<

What a neat idea!  I've not run across this in torchon before, but it sounds
like it would be great--just twist the "gimp pair" between each passing of
the worker.

Recently I did this in a pattern -- it was a bookmark with the design of a bobbin on it, and the gimp was the thread wrapped around the bobbin, and hanging off of it.
However, there was one difference. I passed the workers under the right gimp and treated the left gimp as a normal gimp, putting twists before and after it. This anchored the gimp threads where I wanted them. When the right gimp was then twisted after that stitch, it covered up the anchoring twists and only the top gimp was seen.

This does make a 'continuous' thread line on top of the background. The pattern I was making had been done with the double twisted gimp, so I just copied it without realizing it wasn't a standard Torchon technique. (This is also a variation of a trim technique I have done in sewing, so the concept was familiar tome.)

There's always something new to learn. I, too, wish there were more hours in the day!

To change the subject -- tomorrow is lace meeting, and a newspaper reporter is coming to write a story on lacemaking and lace hearts for Valentine's Day. I'm curious what she will write -- how accurate it will be when done. <G>

Happy lacing,
Alice in Oregon -- where we are supposed to have 2 days of mostly dry before the next storm hits. There's actually a spot of sun right now!