I have read Montupet's book, and it was quite fanciful.  How
accurate it is is hard to say.

The heroine starts out as a down-trodden young woman who
turns to a benevolent man who owns a lace shop.  She has
refined skills as a needle lacemaker and he hires her.  From
this beginning, she eventually marries extremely well, buys
the lace shop, and invents bobbin lace.  Seems a very
unlikely scenario in those days...  but it did make a good
story.  I suppose the conditions described  could be
accurate, in spite of what I considered a major flaw in the
book (the scenario).

Clay



- Original Message ----- 
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2004 7:24 AM
Subject: Re: [lace] The Depiction of Lace-makers in 17th
century Holland


> I haven't read it, but I think the novel by Jean Montupet
called the
> Lacemaker is one of the few to actually deal with the
lives of lacemakers. However, I
> believe they are French Needlelacers of the 18th century.
> Since the person asked for a "depiction" does she mean a
book or a picture?
> At the Met last summer they had an engraving of a 17
century lacemaker by an
> artist whose name I always get wrong. It is something like
Golthius, or
> Goltzius. Tamara wrote it down!
> The engraving was on loan from the Rijksmuseum.
> Devon
>
> -
> To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
containing the line:
> unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to