I don't know if I'm off base here, but a friend and I spotted these
paintings this summer,  while we were visiting the Metropolitan Museum of
Art:

The Lacemaker, 1665-60
Nicolaes Maes (Dutch, 1634-1693)
The Friedsam Collection, Bequest of Michael Friedsam, 1931 (32.100.5)
http://www.metmuseum.org/collections/view1zoom.asp?dep=11&zoom=0&full=1&mark
=1&item=32%2E100%2E5

The Lacemaker
Bernhard Keil (Danish, 1624-1687)
Bequest of Edward Fowles, 1971 (1971.115.2)
http://www.metmuseum.org/collections/view1zoom.asp?dep=11&zoom=0&full=1&mark
=4&item=1971%2E115%2E2

Hope I'm not being redundant, as I've not read every response -- most of
those I have read seem to relate to fictional accounts, this may give a
different perspective (but maybe Devon has already given out this
information!).  Anyway, I love these paintings!!

Best Regards,
Carolyn

Carolyn Hastings
Stow, MA USA



:

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
> On Behalf Of Tamara P. Duvall
> Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2004 7:21 PM
> To: lace Arachne
> Subject: [lace] Re: Depiction of Lace-makers in 17th century Holland
> 
> 
> On Feb 28, 2004, at 7:24, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Devon) wrote:
> 
> > Since the person asked for a "depiction" does she mean a book or a
> > picture?
> 
> I have wondered about that myself... I think "sightings" of 
> lacemaking 
> in literature (mostly fiction, and mostly along the same lines of 
> misunderstanding that the worst of your press-persons showed at the 
> Hasbrouck Heights convention <g>) are somewhere on 
> Lori-the-Lacefairy'  
> webpage. As are many visual "sightings" which had been reported here 
> over the years.
> 
> > At the Met last summer they had an engraving of a 17 
> century lacemaker
> > by an artist whose name I always get wrong. It is something like 
> > Golthius, or Goltzius. Tamara wrote it down!
> > The engraving was on loan from the Rijksmuseum.
> 
> The *exhibition* was of (Hendrik?) Goltzius (now you have me 
> wondering 
> about the spelling of the name <g>) and most of the work was his, but 
> the engraving in question was by a student of his, Jan Saenredam, one 
> of the series called "4 seasons"; there was nothing on the caption to 
> say which of the seasons was depicted, but I'm guessing "summer".
> 
> I'm not sure how accurate it is for the 17th century, either. 
> The dates 
> given for Saenredam were: "ca 1565-1607", and I don't 
> remember any date 
> given for the picture itself; it could have been done before 
> 1600 (and, 
> in any case, he didn't "see" *much* of the 17th c -- less than a 
> decade...)
> 
> -----
> Tamara P Duvall
> Lexington, Virginia,  USA
> Formerly of Warsaw, Poland
> http://lorien.emufarm.org/~tpd/
> 
> -
> To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing 
> the line: unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write 
> to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to