On Mar 18, 2004, at 4:47, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Liz) wrote:

It's interesting, as a trainer in my main life, we are always told that there is never anything wrong with the student - it's always the fault of the teacher.

WRONG.

There are some people who are impervious to any teaching.

Surely not *any* teaching -- just in a particular subject? Unless they're total "vegetables" (with a flat line showing on the brain-activity machine)...

With a strange look of surprise on my face I asked her that if she 'hated it' why was she coming to the lessons and she replied because she wanted to show her friend she could learn it when her friend couldn't.

One-upmanship is a poor reason for trying to learn anything; it's not likely to provide enough motivation... <g> The lady would have had to *truly* hate her "friend", to put her heart and soul into learning lacemaking which, apparently, wasn't the case.

I was taught by a wonderful trainer that to actually master a skill it takes over 700 repetitions of the skill to do it.

"They" say it takes 1000 talies to make them *dependably* good. *Then*, you learn a different way of making them, which takes another 1000. And *then*, you get to make them in *wire*, and all your cake is dough again... :)

----
Tamara P Duvall
Lexington, Virginia,  USA
Formerly of Warsaw, Poland