Hi All,  I got Catherine Barley's NL book for my birthday last
week (DH let me do the shopping).  It is fantastic!  And I think,
for once, I am actually going to follow the lessons in a book.
I'm always jumping ahead of myself which works sometimes
but I can see there is a lot to learn and the more practice I
get the better!  After my 1-1/2 day NL class last fall I made a
few more flowers and then designed a holly leaf and berry
pin.  I had a little too much faith in my ability to figure things
out <VBG>.  

And thank you Catherine for starting out with a Gros Point
project!  All the designs are very lovely and immediately
grabbed my interest.  I'm too excited to start with something
I can do, I appreciate the challenge!  With a few less life
distractions than I've been having I'll start a sampler using
threads I have already.  I've ordered more <G>.  And needles
too though I remembered to check my sewing basket and
there was a pack of ball point needles (39 cents!) that I'd
gotten years ago just in case I ever needed them.  I did
look at the thinnest thread I use for Carrickmacross and
thought "you're out of your mind".  Luckily the lace-maker-
voice drowned out the normal-person voice and said 
"oh, give it a try".

The other funny thing was when I looked at the first pattern
I thought it looked awfully small.  After I looked at the 60/2 
thread I thought maybe I should make it smaller <VBG>.
I usually use #12 Pearl cotton in my Battenberg lace and
the difference between the two threads is quite striking!
I may work with the tatting cotton I used in the NL class
first and work my way down to the thinner threads.  I do
know the thinner threads will look bigger when I work with
them.  The holes in the Carrickmacross net looked 
impossibly small to me at first but once I tried buttonholing
around them they got bigger (to my eye at least).    

Jane in Vermont, USA where the leaves on the trees are
out and getting bigger every day!  Lilies-of-the-Valley are
out too.  What a divine fragrance!
[EMAIL PROTECTED] 

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to