Janet wrote:

My question now is about bobbins.  I know many of you use the spangled ones but I was 
wondering if anyone uses the square European ones I have seen on some websites.  They 
look like the would resist the rolling problem that has been mentioned and I wonder if 
they would make a good starter bobbin or what.  I see myself as ultimately doing 
yardage lace for the most part and I don't know if that will make a difference.

=============================================

Dear Janet,

There are a zillion types of bobbins.  Basically, round ones and spangled ones and 
square ones.  Myself, I am squarely in the square bobbin camp.  Love 'em to death.  
Personally, I think they stack admirably, being square, but your mileage may vary.  I 
have some of the fancy turned squares, which as Tamara says, are an abomination to sew 
with, but not all laces have sewings.  I have short plain, single headed squares that 
I use for almost everything.  I have the square binche bobbins by the hundreds for the 
classic continental laces of Binche and Flanders. I also have some classic Honiton 
bobbins and Rosaline, which are round, but don't get used much.

I have resisted acquiring the International squares that Tamara admires so much, and 
that I agree are "practically perfect" simply on the grounds of ecnonomy (what I have 
works), but my resistance may fail sooner than later.  

Since my preferences run to plainer bobbins, and my first attempts to use spangled 
bobbins met with disaster, I see spangled bobbins as pretties but not as tools to use. 
 They just don't suit me.  I don't get along with them.  The point being that tools 
are a very personal preference.

Have fun making your choices.

Patty Dowden

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to