>>>From: Weronika Patena [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Thanks, I'll try that.  As a beginner, I guess I'm just always worried about
not having enough thread, and tend to end up with twice as much as I
need.<<<

I was there once, and speak from experience--you need to learn to add a
bobbin.  It's not hard in most places, and then you won't be so worried
about running out and so won't overload as much.

The easiest place to start a new thread is in a cloth stitch (CTC) area.

1.  Lay the almost-empty bobbin back out of the way, being careful not to
stretch and distort the lace.  Put a slip knot on the end of the thread on a
new, full bobbin and hang it on a pin out of your way but not too far away
(don't waste that thread!).  Lay it through the pins so it lays where the
old bobbin did.  Continue on your way with the new bobbin.  When you're done
with the lace, snip the threads close to the work.  The friction of the
cloth stitch will keep the threads in place for ornaments, but may not be
strong enough for clothing.

2.  Put a slip knot in the new bobbin, hang it on an out-of-the-way pin, and
lay it through the pins to where the nearly-empty one sits.  For a few rows
(if it's a passive) or one row (if it's a worker), work the cloth stitch but
use both the nearly empty and it's replacement together as if they're one
bobbin.  A little awkward, but not hard, and it's just a little while.  Some
people tie them together, or use tiny rubber bands to hold them together.
Then lay the old bobbin out of the way and continue with the new one.

In a ground, like torchon (CTpCT) or point (CTTTp), use method 2, running
two threads together for a distance.  Because it is less dense, method 1
would not hold together.

I do not recommend trying to change bobbins in half stitch (CT)--it will
show.  However, if you're getting low on a bobbin that's not in a good place
to be replaced, do an extra twist or cross of whatever you need to put that
bobbin where it will soon be in a good area to replace and the bobbin that
would have gone there is where the nearly-empty one was.  The turning stitch
(CTTCT) or any of a variety of stitches can be used to "switch out" the
bobbin.  What is best to use depends on (a)where you need to send your
nearly-empty bobbin; (b) what kind of stitch you're in; (c) the overall kind
of lace you're making.  Since you're not learning in a class, I recommend
trying a few things and seeing which one is least obvious in the piece
you're doing.  "Switching out" sounds like it will create a tangle that will
be *so* obvious, but it will surprise you!

Now that I'm not so afraid of running out, I put less thread on my bobbins
but *very* rarely do run out.  It's just the fear that makes you overload
the bobbins.

Robin P.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
http://www.pittsburghlace.8m.com/