>>>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Method might be relevant,  so I say that I am using a big octogonal block
pillow....The bobbins, all spangled Midlands, lie flat on my pillow while I
work( ie hands-down).  <<<

First of all, the threads looping over the top of the pins.  Part of the
problem is probably the fact that you're using such a flat pillow.  The
bobbins don't put tension on the thread, which would keep it from looping
over the pins.  I have an flat-topped octagonal pillow, but I raise the back
a bit to keep the bobbins hanging down.  Not so steep that they try to pile
up at the very center/bottom, just a bit to take advantage of gravity in
keeping the threads under tension.

If pin length were the problem, you'd have the same trouble when using your
longer pins pushed farther into the pillow.  Do you?  Anyway, pushing the
pins down to the surface of the pillow would keep the lace from riding up
and would make it harder for threads to catch on the pins.  Also, constantly
brushing your bobbins downward (towards you) would help to keep the threads
tensioned and unable to jump backwards over the pins.

>>>  So I bought a box(actually, tube) of the long and thin pins.  When I
got them I was disappointed becuase there weren't very many of them (about
150) and they were so thin that they hurt my fingers when I pushed them
in.<<<

The quilters have stick-on pads (one brand is plastic, another is thin
leather) that act like thimbles without the bulk.  This is great for pushing
in pins.  They also have something called the "Nimble Thimble", which is a
very-thin-leather thimble with a metal plate embedded at the appropriate
spot.  More on your finger than with the pads, but still a lot less bulk and
bother than regular thimbles.  [Don't be confused by other leather thimbles
that are thick leather.  The Nimble Thimble is the one that is comfortable
for those who don't like thimbles.]

>>>The only problem is that I find that the long and thin pins bend.  I bet
that about a third of them are severely bent!  I've been using my usual pins
for years and the most heavily used ones have only a mild bend.  <<<

That's not a function of the length of the pin.  It sounds like your long
ones are insect pins, which are made of a metal that does bend.  I believe
Clover or Bohin make some pins that are thinner than .50, but of stainless
so they don't bend.  Insect pins and brass pins bend if not carefully placed
in a pre-pricked hole.

>>>Also, because the holes are so very close together and hard to see, there
are times when I miss the prepricked holes completely and force the pin
thropugh the pricking.  <<<

If you think you found the hole, but the pin isn't going through, then you
should recognize that you need to keep feeling for the hole.  That will save
your fingers from pain, your pins from bending, your pricking from becoming
a mess, and will make your lace more accurate (more beautiful when taken off
the pillow).

>>>So what is going on here?  How do pins fit into the grand scheme of
things?  I mean, what is the theory about which types to use and how does it
all tend to work out in practice?  <<<

Most people use finer pins for finer/denser lace, but I've never heard a
rule of thumb.  Maybe someone else will provide that.  Motif laces,
ornaments, and small circular edgings generally need the pins pushed down to
the pillow, because your threads/bobbins will come around to where the old
pins are in the way.  Therefore, short pins are good for those laces, so
they don't have to be pushed so far to get them flush with the surface, or
pulled that hard to get them out again.  I've not heard anyone say long pins
are better for something, but maybe someone will answer your question on
that count.

>>>better now that I try to make the threads go under a pin.  I'm using my
usual pin since I don't have a hat pin and I still see great improvement.
<<<

Yes, guard pins can help keep threads under control, guiding them from the
lace to the stacked bobbins.  They would help you when using short pins,
too.

Robin P.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
http://www.pittsburghlace.8m.com/