HI everyone This will be a rant. I've been judging laces for some years
now, at fall fairs.I suppose I'm doing ok - they'd have fired me long ago
if I'm not LOL. Howver, I'm more in favour of making lace accessible and
do-able for the onlooker - have the competitive part, yes, but have the
lace demo, and have-a-go pillow as well (which many already do).

At one fair I attend, the judges are anonymous - if known, people aren't
supposed to reveal 'who' - personally, I prefer this. I would not like to
be in a spotlight, giving my reasons for 1st, 2nd, 3rd - hobby judging is
*so* subjective (now if it is priced, and I'm 'judging' from the aspect of
being a buyer, I can be as ruthless as I like - but when someone does a
piece for pleasure, and offers it in competition, one wants to be as
positive and constructive as possible, as a judge. In comparing entries:
Who's to say that a piece that was 2nd one year, if judged the next
wouldn't have been first; that the advice given (if in public) to the 2nd
or 3 prize winners compared to 1st prize would result in any different
placing another time (or not). Conversely, in my experience at another
fair, the judges are known to the competitors, if they want to know, and
often are chosen from names suggested by a hobby group. This does put the
'judge' in a small quandary - I like to be as objective as possible: I
examine each piece on its own merit - particularly if there are few in a
category before applying its attributes to a scale of excellence, for the
purpose of awarding the ribbon. It takes me a long time to judge in order
that each piece receive due consideration. When I finally do make the
calls, the ribbons are placed and I find out later - from a friendly
competitor - 'we only enter so that lacemaking has a presence - the
ribbons aren't important to us' - it makes me feel redundant. In this
instance, I really think a simple exhibit and enthusiastic lacemaking demo
would give 'lace' more of a presence than a few competition entries.

<end of rant>
Bev in Sooke, BC (west coast of Canada)
Cdn. floral bobbins
www.woodhavenbobbins.com