My understanding of the thought behind the copyright law is that it is an
attempt to balance different interests. It recognizes that society benefits from
 creative work and innovation. Individuals will not create or invent if they
will  not reap some benefit from their efforts. The law seeks to encourage
people to  invest time and energy doing creative work that will benefit society
by giving  them the ability to profit from the work for a limited period of
time. The  details of where exactly the monopoly of the author versus the benefit
to  society line is drawn is something that is hashed out by the courts. This
is why  it is rather hard to come to absolute conclusions based just on
theoretical  reasoning. It is hard even for the courts to put it into specifics
when they  have high priced legal talent arguing both sides.

It seems to me that where we are going with this in the lace world is in  the
direction of forgetting that the real purpose of the laws is to make
creative ideas available to society. Instead it seems to be operating to  suppress
the production of new material. What is the difference between a  situation
where someone doesn't buy a book because they have photocopied another  book and
one where someone doesn't buy a book because then she will be unable to  show
the finished piece to her friends without getting permission from the  author?
What about the situation where people are afraid to look at a book lest  they
inadvertantly get ideas from it that they apply to their work? What about  the
situation where people are afraid that they will invent on their own a
design that resembles one already invented? Library sales are a large part of  book
sales and also a powerful force to make ideas available to society. Why
would a library buy a pattern book at all if the patterns if it were  illegal to
copy a pattern for personal use?  I wonder how many sales of  worthy books are
being lost and worthy ideas not developed in our zeal not to  violate the
spirit of the copyright law because we are ignorent of the case law  that
illuminates it?

I think the only solution here is for arachnids to make a concerted effort
to recruit a copyright lawyer who is familiar with the case law and keeps
abreast of new deveopments in the field into our ranks. I call for a national
movement to demonstrate at Bar Association events, Copyright Conferences and
pubs located near Courthouses. Let two lawyers never meet but that there be a
lace demonstrator within twenty feet of them...

Devon