>I would be very interested to know if other tutors have been put through
>this ordeal.

I did the Stage 1 C&G 7407 a couple of years ago - having been teaching
for 8 years, based on Guiding experience, it was interesting to have
confirmed that what I had learned on the hoof was the right way to go
about it! I teach privately, and thus had to fund the course myself - I
don't actually need to have the qualification, and can't afford to do
the Stage 2 at the moment, neither could the tutor whose class I did my
teaching practice in spare the hours from her work for me to do the
forty hours TP required for Stage 2 had I carried on with the others to
take it - as she was doing Stage 2 herself at the time.

There were two or three of us on the course who couldn't get our heads
round what to do about lesson plans - one of the other two teaches
upholstery, the other teaches young offenders, and rarely gets the same
students two weeks running, yet alone know in advance what they would be
doing! However, discussion led to the agreement that there was no
requirement to do lesson plans in this case - you do individual student
plans and a schedule of work, and that is acceptable. Assessing the
group was another hurdle - but photographs, quizzes, question and answer
sessions, etc help - with one student having an actual phobia to tests
of any kind (the quiz just about scraped the border line on this, but
she managed it!) and another refusing to keep any form of student diary,
and being recreational students they couldn't see the need for
assessment... but I survived and passed the course. Observation by my
tutor was passed on the wow factor (she was used to teaching formally,
an accountancy class, not everyone doing something different). The plus
point is that we have no problems showing diversification, whereas other
types of teaching do!

I admit I don't want to teach in the Adult Education system because of
the pointless paperwork - I keep the records I need to keep, designed to
keep me up to date with what my students can do, and when they did
whatever. Sometimes that helps in working out the answer to "how long
did this piece take me to make?" and knowing what to suggest for the
next pattern to be worked. Feedback is in the chatter, and the fact that
they keep coming.

In about a month's time I'm taking a group for a weekend at our local
adult education residential college - which just happens, if the rumour
is correct, to be when they have OFSTED in. I'm not sure if I will be
included in the observations or not, but I'm doing lesson plans because
this weekend will be one where the group are working on the same
projects, except for two absolute beginners I happen to have added to
the course! So it breaks down to two plans for each session. Doing them
is useful, as it is making me consider what I plan to achieve, and why,
and what I need to make sure I take with me. Until I had set out the
scheme for the weekend, I couldn't easily have written the list of
things I want the group to take with them (eg how many pairs, which
threads) - lesson plans have their uses sometimes!  Doing it this way
means that I have had to book the rooms, and the college will invoice
me, but at least it gets a lacemaking course there, and shows that there
is still interest (particularly with the beginners - I went on a
calligraphy weekend there before Christmas, and the woman sitting next
to me was interested in learning, so she and her mother are coming to
the course).

This last week or so I have written to the local papers concerning the
lace day in June (thanks for the mention, Rosemarie!) - our main local
paper decided to send out a reporter and photographer (I've had that
photographer doing rose ground before now!) to the class to do a piece
in advance - and we were all surprised when what we thought would be a
small paragraph with one picture ended up two thirds of a page and four
colour photos! They made a delightful error - one of the group will be
doing a workshop on Plastic Canvas (lavender sachets) at the lace day,
and took in some of her work to illustrate the fact.... "I noticed one
lady practising a different form of lacemaking, known as plastic
canvas..." !!! So I e-mailed the paper asking them to correct this, and
repeating the reason why she had taken the pieces in - result, the e-
mailed letter, and another photo, in this week's paper. So far, the
article has gained me a talk to a group at the local Age Concern Day
Centre, and probably a new student.... It is worth advertising lace days
early!

--
Jane Partridge