Thirdly, I work at a university, and they don't "do" conferences anymore.
  School runs year round.  Students are in the dorms all year. There are no
extra
  spaces, we barely have enough space for our own classes and staff, much
less
  renting precious classrooms out to conferences.  Universities are facing
major
  financial difficulties, and the times when one could rent a university for
an
  outside conference (at least here in the US) are long gone.  So, that option
no
  longer exists for IOLI convention planners.  It's a hotel or nothing.  And,
  get a hotel with any amount of classroom space means it's gonna cost the
  convention go-ers.  Them's the facts.  BUT, in comparison to other
professional
  conferences, IOLI is still a terrific bargain.

  Your university may not 'do' conferences but others do.  We held a
conference at a local U in 2001 and had great service.
  'Doing Conferences' is their summer business.  We plan to use it or another
one in 2-3 years when we host again.
  Lorri
  Washington State