On Jul 30, 2005, at 10:07, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jacquie) wrote:
As I write this, I am wondering what Tamara and others were using to draw their designs on the tulle (net?) for tambouring,
We were told to bring #5 pencil. WalMart has never heard of it and, truth to tell, I heven't seen one since I left Poland (1972), so I didn't have one. Deb Bender (the organiser of the workshop) had supplied a box of them, for all other lame ducks like myself, but I never got to use it. By the time I got past the stitch-counting stage and to the free-drawn design, it was quite evident (from the speedier learners' efforts) that a pencil that hard may keep its point very well, but doesn't leave a very visible line behind it...
So, Greet reached into her capacious bag of tricks, and - hocus-pocus - pulled out one of those blue, "disappearing" pens... "They now make them with very fine points" she said, and that's what people used. She told us that, when we finished stitching and before we took the tulle off the frame, we should take a shower-head and run water through the whole lot until all the blue marks disappeared and went down the drain, instead of spreading through the embroidery.
That was on the second day of class and the same day, after classs, Robin and her friend and I went to an arts/crafts store (can't remember the name - Moore? - but very much like Michaels), where I supplied myself with one (and a #5 pencil just for the heck of it <g> And several spools of DMC tatting 80, which I remembered from Brenda's book as being more or less the same size as 30/2 cotton). Which is what I used on the third and last day.
I have no idea how well the marks will disappear or whether they'll reccur 20 yrs "down the road". But since I don't expect to - ever - produce a masterpiece heirloom, I'm not worried :)
And thanks, Jacquie, for the upside down tip for straightening the bobbins on a dumped pillow... I've never heard of it any more than I heard of threading the needle "off the spool end". But, while I've been threading the needle that way without knowing (seemed natural <g>), it would have never occured to me to just tip a pillow upside down in a situation like that... So far, I've never had an accident like that... Wonder If I'll still remember when the time comes <g>
On Jul 30, 2005, at 18:47, Brenda Paternoster wrote:
but how often does one thread linen into a needle nowadays?
Up to 96 times (48 pairs) per project, before I discovered Brugge tie-off last October... That was one reason why I didn't hate the "het lassen" (the overlapping of the first and last part and sewing them together) as I might have otherwise <g> I love making BL with linen, and would probably do it more often if it could be had fine and in colours; as it is, I don't do it very often, but, once in a while, I get a craving that won't be denied :)
-- Tamara P Duvall http://t-n-lace.net/ Lexington, Virginia, USA (Formerly of Warsaw, Poland) - To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line: unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
