Dear Arachnes

I have a friend who has asked me to help her sell her collection of baby gowns/Christening dresses, assorted pieces of lace and embroidery (nothing very spectacular), embroidered/beaded bags and a couple of fans etc. My friend is now almost blind, so unable to appreciate her collection and she could do with some extra cash so I've agreed to do the selling for her. The local antiques dealer will probably be interested in two or three baby dresses, but three dozen!! I don't want to flood the local market, so I'm thinking about Ebay.

I've never bought or sold anything with Ebay before, but I know that many of you have, so any any advice would be gratefully received.

I realise that I'll need to open a PayPal account, (or restrict it to GBP cheques and clear the cheques before parting with the goods). I've resisted PayPal in the past for my own book sales because of the high charges - it works out at 55p on a single book or 3-07 GBP on a trade order for ten books.

The questions I still have are:

1, The minimum reserve price with Ebay is 50 GBP. If I'm realistically hoping for about 25 GBP for an item then a reserve price is not an option. Should I therefore set the opening bid at what I consider the reserve price to be, say 20 GBP? If I set it very low and someone bids just a penny more am I obliged to sell?

2, There are a lot of low value items - would it be better to put these into 'lots' ie five different lace mats, or try to sell each item individually? Postage on five is likely to be the same as postage on one, it's the packaging that costs!

3, Most of the items would benefit from "laundering to freshen them up"! A mammoth task, so would it harm the dresses if I iron them unlaundered in order to get a decent photo?

Any advice welcomed

Brenda
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/