On Oct 20, 2005, at 20:38, Jane Viking Swanson wrote:

Hi all, I was browsing on eBay and saw the title "Point de Graz (sic)" and
wondered if another gorgeous Point de Gaze skirt was for sale.

I saw your posting, and wondered "what on earth are the Austrians up to _now_" <g> - Graz being a town in Austria... 100 yrs ago and more, during the Austro-Hungarian Empire, they took credit for all the lace made on the teritory, including what's now known as "Idria" and the Czech and Slovak laces... There was little to pinch in Poland, though the villages which made lace - Koniakow (motif crochet, much like Irish in some ways) and Bobowa (BL) - were within the administrative district.

Upon closer examination it looks like Irish Crochet to me though the pictures are so bad on my computer that it may be Chemical Lace.

Even on the closer look (there was one photo which had a decent close up) - none of the lace looked like chemical; there were none of the tale-tell (tell-tale?) fuzzy whiskers around the motifs, which are left after the fabric around them is dissolved. So I don' rhink it's chemical. And the title has now been changed to: "Museum 19th c Point de Graz, Irish Lace trained skirt".

So, OK... Depending on where, _precisely_, in the 19th c... it's possible that Austria and Ireland have crossed paths - both had been crammed-full of nihilists at one point :)

Most looks like IC but the stuff in the ovals looks odd.

I don't see that it looks much like IC, either :) I have some Irish Crochet lace - possibly also late 19th, but more likely early 20th c - given to me by my late MIL (born 1897), so I'm fairly familiar with it, even if I never tried to make it. Neither the roses nor the "ums" (what's the English for the three-leaf clover?) are anywhere near as "defined" (separate layers as well as depth of indentations between the petals) and 3-D as in the pieces I have.

On the other hand... The few clear close-ups there are, are _ever so_ like the insert in a "made in India" shirt I got In Poland, in '99, for $1 :), especially when you look close at the bars in the ground. There seems to be a lot of this "stuff" available now, and it's constructed of machine-made elements (including leaves with two "faces" - one cloth and one patterned and flowers which have more than 2 aspects), with a - machine made - net connecting them. There's still a lot of handwork involved in putting the elements together, but it's not "hand made from scratch" stuff.

Still, for under $300, a full skirt is well-worth it, IMO; just look at the prices of - all "plastic" - wedding dresses in the DC and NYC areas... Shoot... I paid $120 for my wedding dress, and that was in July of '73... And the whole thing - lace and underskirt - were machine-made, synthetic "stuff"...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8344399255

Jane in Vermont, USA, wondering why everybody is so quiet.

I hardly ever initiate a "thread", though I happily (and volubly <g>) contribute to any ongoing one that's of interest to me. Since I'm an "Arachne Dowager", with more than 10yrs of seniority and tons of accumulated self-confidence, I assume that people with less chutzbah and more modesty than I have, are "looking for openings" even more eagerly than I do.
--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/
Lexington, Virginia, USA     (Formerly of Warsaw, Poland)

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to