Traditionally, new lacemakers learned their local style (Beds in 
Bedforshire, Bucks in the Midlands, etc.).  In the US, people seem to 
mostly start with Torchon.  I've always thought of it as the easiest to 
understand at the beginning, since it's on a regular, 45-degree grid 
and there are fewer "special" things to learn (like picots) or 
exceptions to rules (like nook pins) for the beginner.  OTOH, the first 
thing I teach is "head and foot", a Swedish pattern (I think its real 
name is "udd och staad").  It gives students a chance to feel like 
they're making "real" lace with only five pairs and one stitch (CTCT) 
to learn.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
(formerly  Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

----- Original Message -----
From: Helen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Everyone else here who's a beginner seems to be making torchon.  Do 
> most people start on torchon and am I slightly odd for starting with 
> Beds?  

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to