I'm making my ornament for the Christmas Card Exchange from Gekloppelter
Weihnachtsschmuch. This book, also by Brigitte Bellon, has a lovely
selection of bells, hearts, candles, angels and stars. I borrowed the book
from a friend, and although I have finished my design, I do not intend to
buy a copy of the book for myself. Why? Two reasons: First, it's in German
(no English translation, which is also true of the book Alice mentioned). I
don't read German, and although the prickings and very clear photographs
make it possible to complete the lace, I always feel that paragraph says
*something,* and it would help me to know what that is! Second, there are no
working diagrams. You have to constantly study the photo to see what stitch
is used where, how many twists, etc. I consider myself a reasonably
accomplished lacemaker, but I honestly don't think I could manage some of
the more complex designs, due to the lack of working diagrams.

You can see the cover of this book on Holly Van Sciver's web site
<http://www.vansciverbobbinlace.com/1Books.html>.

Barbara Joyce,
who speaks a little French, but no German :-(

Snoqualmie, WA
USA