Jenny,

I have done some turning using both my 'small set' of tools and my regular
set.  I use the larger ones almost exclusively, as the smaller ones vibrate
too much.  I don't think it is the 'quality' of the set both are comparable in
quality and cost me a 'small fortune'.
Just don't try to take off 'too much' at one pass.  And I often use the tool
(always resting it on the rest) and support the bobbin with my other hand.  I
use a leather glove on the supporting (left in my case) hand.
You are right practice is also an answer.  Do you have pictures on your web
site?  I haven't visited it for many months.
Do you have access to a library?  Ask about videos of wood turning.
I have collected (you can probably get them at a library) 5 books on turning.
    Basic Woodturning Techniques    by David Regester
    The Woodturner's Conpanion    by Ron Roszkiewicz
    Turning Wood     with Richard Raffan
    Turning Goblets    with Mike Cripps  (this includes very fine spindles)
    Woodturning Wizardry    by David Springett
I found them all useful in various ways.  But then I am a book-buying-person,
and I admit it!

Lorri

  I am also (finally) getting back to making some more midland bobbins and
wishing I lived in a big town so that I had a teacher!!!!  Trying
  to work out how something is done from books is harder with the lathe
  - the correct angles of holding the chisels is vital if I don't want
  to sever a finger :) I bought a basic wood turning set of chisels and
  am starting to think I should have looked around for smaller ones to
  do  the delicate bobbins with as I have too many bobbins snap on the
  lathe with my being too heavy handed with cumbersome tools :(  All
  this is not counting the desire to learn how to make the spindle
  effect, or the wire inlay, or the bead effect or make a mother and
  babe or ... or.....

  Still I am persevering and have come up with a style I tend to keep
  to - thanks to Neil Keats in Australia for his double head concept -
  now I just need to practice and practice getting the finished bobbin
  off the lathe properly and find some more books on turning "small" stuff.

  Jenny Brandis