"Lynn Scott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>I think shuttles have been used for centuries on fishing vessels to make and 
>mend nets.

True -- if your heart craves documentably "ancient", netmaking is probably
the art you want.  There really are "ancient Egyptian" nets:
http://www.digitalegypt.ucl.ac.uk/textil/other.html

In fact, nets are so efficient at catching small animals and birds that
their use has been banned in most places.  (And so efficient at catching
fish that only Native Americans are allowed to use nets in the Great
Lakes.)  I find them highly useful for my thread stash, as a net lets me
see what is in there, and lets the thread breathe.  (I'm careful to hang
them out of direct sunlight.)

And to add "lace" into this, eye candy:
http://knotsindeed.com/index.html
(Click on "Patterns & Images", then pick from "Doilies", "Suncatchers",
"Ornaments", etc.)

Lynn Carpenter in SW Michigan, USA
alwen at i2k dot com
http://lost-arts.blogspot.com/

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to