Beth wrote:

<The other think I really, really want is a replacement for my Dennis Hornsby
egg-shaped wooden pricking tool (pin vice): I lost the original one several
years ago and I've not found anything as comfortable to use; there are
smaller ones available,, and someone stocks a plastic version, but I can't
find one like my old one anywhere...>

Have you looked at Hornsby's web site? They are still trading and have a pricker pictured which isn't exactly egg-shaped, but isn't like anything I've seen from other suppliers.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/djhornsby/Home.htm

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK