These days, if I ever make lace for something like a hankie, I tend to hem the hankie separately (either by machine or a rolled hem by hand) and attach the lace by overcasting (by hand). It's not as pretty, but I can tak the lace off easily.

I do this, too, for much the same reason. It's not that I don't know the traditional hemstitches; it's not even that I can't do them evenly - I can, but I don't use them because I'm absolutely sure that there's no way I could remove the lace again without, at some point, cutting into the lace threads. Also, I'm really not fond of the tiny-geometric-hole look; I know it's traditional but I think it clashes with the more sweeping shapes of the lace.

There are some embroidery stitches that are fast, pick out easily, and go well with lace. I particularly like the combination of Bedfordshire and feather stitch (If you don't know that stitch you can see an example here:
http://inaminuteago.com/stitchdict/stitch/buttonhole-feather.html )

A handkerchief I made with beds motifs and feather stitch is still one of my favourites. I tacked the hem and tacked on the lace, then worked over both with the feather stitch. I'm sure there are lots of similar surface embroidery stitches that complement lace and don't take a lot of time, skill, or minute work.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)