I've judged at our State Fair, and in that venue there is no requirement for
things to be hand finished.  And yes, it is sad to see a beautiful piece of
lace badly mounted (regardless of *how* it's mounted). Most competitions are
specific in their requirements, and this is the time to consider whether or not
to use hand finishing.  I still say that it is up to the individual, and have
no quarrel with Devon's point.

On the other hand, I am personally committed to learning to attach lace by hand
 (that's my obsessive choice. ;)).  It seems absurd to have spent ten years
learning to make exquisite lace as it was made in the 17th - 18th centuries,
and then blow off the finishing.  It takes me the better part of a year to
complete Binche lace for a handkerchief, and to spend a week getting the
mounting right is not too much to expect.  I'm not worried about the problem of
picking it apart again after the handkerchief disentegrates - I don't plan to
use this on a daily basis!!  Part of the appeal to me is to hold the finished
object and know that 300 - 400 years ago, someone once held a handkerchief very
much like this and it was considered as valuable as a gem.  The thread and the
handkerchief fabric aren't linen because we can't get fine linen today.  But
otherwise, it is a faithful reproduction.

Clay

--
Clay Blackwell
Lynchburg, VA USA