I'm with you, Clay. After reading everybody's thoughts and climbing in and out of everybody's shoes, and sympathizing absolutely with everybody's opinion in turn, I think you've got it, Clay! -- Aurelia

I've judged at our State Fair, and in that venue there is no requirement for things to be hand finished. And yes, it is sad to see a beautiful piece of lace badly mounted (regardless of *how* it's mounted). Most competitions are specific in their requirements, and this is the time to consider whether or not to use hand finishing. I still say that it is up to the individual, and have no quarrel with Devon's point. On the other hand, I am personally committed to learning to attach lace by hand (that's my obsessive choice. ;)). It seems absurd to have spent ten years learning to make exquisite lace as it was made in the 17th - 18th centuries, and then blow off the finishing. It takes me the better part of a year to complete Binche lace for a handkerchief, and to spend a week getting the mounting right is not too much to expect. I'm not worried about the problem of picking it apart again after the handkerchief disentegrates - I don't plan to use this on a daily basis!! Part of the appeal to me is to hold the finished object and know that 300 - 400 years ago, someone once held a handkerchief very much like this and it was considered as valuable as a gem. The thread and the handkerchief fabric aren't linen because we can't get fine linen today. But otherwise, it is a faithful reproduction.
Clay