Thank you for some good ideas on this problem, I think I might try this liquid bandage one first and see how it goes.

Some of the others I would find very impractical, I do have a pin pusher tool, but when working lace I do the stitch, pick up the pin and push in and then continue to work, if I stopped to pick up a tool each time, well I dont think I would. When I am pushing in a number of pins to turn a piece then I do use it, but its the single pin in the work that is what I am trying to help. Some pieces (or may be it is some pillows) I have to push harder.

Robin, you made me laugh because you exactly described my attempts to use a thimble, yes it saves the finger, but only because I use another finger, <g>
You are all such a mine of useful help, thanks.
Sue T Dorset UK

I wonder if the liquid bandage stuff would work? I use it occasionally (just paint on a few layers and let dry) when I am quilting or appliqueing when my finger gets too sore.
Jude in WY