Hello Jeri, and everyone

I love using wool fabric, batting, fleece, but one of the strongest
reasons against - is allergy; for some, they just can't be near it,
even if a layer of cotton is between them and the wool. A second one
is availability - there simply might not be a source accessible to the
lacemaker; a close second is m*ths (I spell that quietly, because they
lurk near my stash). If I leave woollen anything untended and exposed,
the moths will find it.

I first learned of using ethafoam, a synthetic, at a museum symposium
on storage, where ethylene-based storage was recommended. It is very
damp where I live (and raining right now), and I do have a lot of
ethafoam pillows; all will have a layer of wool or sythetic buffer in
some form or another - sometimes synthetic batting, if that is what is
at hand, and a cotton cover over that. Yes, pins will rust if left too
long in any pillow around here, even in the wool-stuffed bolster :(
so my solution is to deal with the lace sooner than later. If I do
have a project that lies untouched for weeks and months, it is a sign
to me that I'm not really interested in finishing it, and I'd better
cut it off!

Polyesters have improved considerably since they were first introduced
to consumers. The thread I bought the other day handled like cotton,
and the synthetic buffer products (batting, stuffing and so on) feel
less plasticky than they used to. We can now get silk battings, though
how that would be as a buffer on a lace pillow, I haven't tried (I
have used unspun silk as stuffing, when wool would be a problem, and
that worked well)

So whereas yes I agree you can recommend that wool is the best - other
options are valid too.

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 7:17 PM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>
> If there is an argument against using wool felt padding on lace pillows, I
> would like to learn about it.
>


-- 
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west
coast of Canada

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to