Dear Lacemakers,
 
Thirty years ago, I was taught to use wool - not a synthetic  - for padding 
lace pillows.  Reason is that wool breathes and releases  moisture through 
evaporation.  Foam and synthetics hold moisture long  enough to damage pins.  
You 
do not want rusted pins in your lace  pillows.  Many of us keep pins and lace 
on pillows a lot longer  than did lacemakers of old, who were intent on 
selling lace.
 
**We are an international list, and many lacemakers on Arachne live in  damp 
climates, or they use humidifiers in dry houses in heating  seasons, or boil 
liquids that create in-home steam!!**
 
Look for old camp blankets and khaki-colored wool  army blankets at flea 
markets and places that sell used household  goods.  It does not matter if they 
have small holes, as long as you layer  the padding so holes are not one above 
the other.  
 
Wash in machine at hottest water setting.  Rinse to get out  as much lanolin 
and soap as possible.  Make there are no fugitive  dyes.  Dry in very hot 
dryer, which will collect fuzz that may be a concern  to those who are 
allergic.  
All this will make clean felted wool ideal  for padding lace pillows.
 
If you like the advice above, you could go begging for old wool  blankets.  
Put a note in your local lace club's newsletter.  Ask  people to check the 
trunks in their attics (or the attics of elderly  relatives) for old wool 
blankets 
that you can felt and use.  You  can also felt old wool clothing, such as 
sweaters and skirts.  Search for  felting instructions on-line.
 
If there is an argument against using wool felt padding on lace pillows, I  
would like to learn about it.  
 
Jeri  Ames
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center  

 
In a message dated 10/2/2008 3:57:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Hi Susie  -

I definitely would have used wool if I could have gotten it.   But the 
felt I used was a "blend"...  probably more acrylic than  wool, but 
enough wool to make it feel like "real" felt.  The felt  "dampens" the 
harsh feel and sound you get on bare foam, and gives the  "feel" of 
working on a wool pillow.  The foam that Ken sells doesn't  grip the pins 
as much as other foams I've used, so there's less  "squeaking" to start 
with.  But...  add the felt, and I hardly  notice it.  It's been a nice 
pillow.
Someone else mentioned using  quilting batting between the block and the 
block cover.  This would  work well too, I think...  as long as you get a 
good quality cotton  batting that doesn't have slubs of cotton chaff in 
it and is not  thick.  Some battings are synthetic, and quite high-loft, 
and these  would be entirely unsuitable, imo.....

Clay

C Johnson  wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am interested in the layer of felt,  Clay,  Did you use wool or acrylic  
felt?
Thanks,
Susie
Morris, IL

> I needed a pillow for  a large project.  I ordered foam blocks from Ken 
> van Dieren  (he's in the US, as I am, but I'm sure you can find a 
> source in the  UK).  My pillow is wider than it is high, because I 
> reasoned  that the space at the top would be wasted.  So, I have three 
>  5.5" blocks on each side, and three 11" blocks going down the middle. 
>  (14 and 28 cm) so the total width is 22" (about 56 cm) and the height 
>  is 16.5" (42 cm).  I started my work near the top of the center block,  
> and as I've progressed, I've just moved the blocks up. I also made a  
> pair of "half-blocks" which are 11" wide but only 2.75" deep.   This 
> makes it easier to move the blocks in smaller steps.
> My  blocks are covered first with a layer of felt and then with navy 
>  twill.  It is a very satisfactory pillow, and I expect to use it for a  
> lot of things.
>
>     

-
To  unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the  line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write  to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]





**************New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination.  
Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out!      
(http://local.mapquest.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000001)

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to