In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes
Thirty years ago, I was taught to use wool - not a synthetic  - for padding
lace pillows.  Reason is that wool breathes and releases  moisture through
evaporation. Foam and synthetics hold moisture long enough to damage pins.

I find this interesting as when we were looking at the qualities of fibres at college, wool was said to be fire retardant (compared to synthetics and cellulose fibres etc) because it *held* moisture, being very absorbent and releasing moisture slowly - we were reminded of our school days when, as we have particularly wet winters in the UK, our wool duffle coats took days to dry out, and then did not do so completely. It was also one of the reasons, along with the space between the fibres trapping air, given as to why wool is warm for clothing. (In that it gives out heat when it becomes damp or wet). These qualities were repeated in all of the texts we were given, but I am quoting from " 'Some Notes on Textile Manufacture' prepared by Tootal Broadhurst Lee Company Limited " (fourth edition, 1955). It also includes 28 samples of the various fabrics available at the time.

Synthetics, particularly the type of polyester used for toy stuffing, will dull and blunt pins over time, which is why they were said not to be suitable for stuffing pin cushions, whereas wool with the lanolin left in would lubricate the pins and help stop them from rusting.

The damage I have seen with my brass pins is not from where it enters the pillow - it is a ring left where it goes through the pricking card, and I suspect the acid in the card reacts with the brass.
--
Jane Partridge

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to