Dear Clay,
Not everyone works with spangled bobbins. I have to say, those spangles come in handy for keeping the bobbins in order, but I rarely use this kind of bobbin. Continental bobbins present their own set of "challenges". My favorite system (which I have not come even *close* to mastering...) is when those huge 12" pins are used to scoop up 6 - 8 bobbins at a time and stack them vertically in front of another set...
Just an amazing sight to see...

I have to say I've often wondering just how Continental bobbins are kept in any sort of order without any spangles to thread on things.

Since you're using 12" pins, you might even consider those 1mm (or less) metal lace knitting needles. They are what I use to support my stacks of bobbins. However, I wouldn't want too many 1mm holes in a styrene based pillow
David