Janis,

When I had 350 or so bobbins on the pillow doing battle with Miss Channer's demanding mat, and ran out of stitch holders, I used shoe-laces to tie up bundles of bobbins. The end of a shoe-lace threads easily through a spangle and tied with a bow, the bundle can be stacked anywhere and released quickly.

I had tried that, but found they didn't want to come off the shoe laces very easily. So then I got an even longer length of that plastic coated electric wire. It was better but not very manageable. I think I probably should have used shorter lengths.
Thanks
David