Dear Clay:

First of all, I'd drive to VA, for help (again, for whatever professional fee 
was deemed appropriate) but I am based just outside of NYC.

I did not inherit them; they were purchased in the 90's, many from an 
Australian bobbin maker who retired (and I can't for the life of me remember 
his name), and some from someone in England who did fancy bone bobbins.

Another post hit home, in terms of where their "value" lies... I have a bobbin 
handpainted with an image of Eleanore of Aquitaine.

I love Katharine Hepburn and that is my daughter's middle name, and I was 
fascinated by Eleanore growing up.

How much is that bobbin worth?

I have a good attorney now (it's only my 4th, and we are coming up on the 
second anniversary of this whole business).

I don't believe I have a thousand, and I don't believe any (or if so <10) are 
older than 10 years old.

I'd love to get back into lace, and would pay for someone to travel, or would 
move whatever earth and heavens I could to travel to someone.

I'll be at UCLA several times this summer, if there's anyone in the LA area, 
and again, Clay, you better watch out, I consider you to be within one day's 
drive!

I can't tell you on the list how much these responses have meant to me.

I really hope that this post, for horrible reasons, will be useful to my 
attorney and also may be the impetus to get me back lacing. I used to "bore my 
kids to sleep" at naptime with the pat pat pat clink clink of bobbins... We had 
an African pygmy hedgehog because my kids absolutely wanted a hedgehog, and 
they loved Max, and I believe it was because they loved my lacing.

I would love to get back into it, but need a boost. And thanks in advance for 
any ideas, either about evaluation of bobbins... or someone who'd be willing to 
tutor me and help in repair....

Thanks. Very much. 

Sincerely,

Carrie
 


 

-----Original Message-----
From: Clay Blackwell <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Sent: Wed, 20 May 2009 6:12 pm
Subject: Re: [lace] Odd request: value of lace bobbins









Hi Carrie -?
?

I am so sorry to hear about what you're having to go through. ?

I know that you were wanting to be brief, but you didn't give us some 
important information.  What state are you in?  That would help us 
identify someone relatively nearby who might help.  Also, you didn't say 
how old these bobbins are or how (or when) you came by them.  If you 
inherited them, for example, then soon-to-be-ex may be out of luck.  In 
some states, inherited property is exempt.  If they're bobbins you 
bought in the last 15 years or so, then they're worth about what you 
paid for them.  If they're more vintage, they may be worth more, or they 
may be worth less, and that's where you'd need someone who knows 
bobbins.  And you didn't say how many bobbins you have either.  I'd say 
that unless you have 1,000 old bobbins (with *some* nice bone and fancy 
wood), then your bobbins are not worth $10,000.  In his dreams!  Sounds 
like he has a collection of something of his own that he wants to 
keep!!  If so, I'd use that as a bargaining tool.  (You *do* have a good 
attorney, don't you?)?
?

Old bobbins are really worth what someone will pay for them.  If you 
watch bobbins on ebay, this goes up and down, sometimes for no apparent 
reason at all except maybe someone who had been bidding high has gotten 
enough bobbins for her collection and has left the field. ?

Take care, good luck, and hang in there.  There is life after divorce... ?

Clay?
?

Clay Blackwell?

Lynchburg, VA, USA?
?

?

[email protected] wrote:?

> Dear List:?

>?

> It's been a while since I've been active in lacemaking during a recent move, 
> several of my projects were damaged. I'd hoped that I might have found 
> someone in NE who was willing to provide professional assistance in possibly 
> righting the wrongs done to the threads... and I am still hoping.?

>?

> Now I have another request.?

>?

> I own many lace bobbins. My (rather hasty) move was in the context of leaving 
> the marital home, and in the course of settlement, my (hopefully soon to be 
> ex) husband claims that my lace bobbins are worth $10,000.?

>?

> Would anyone be willing to give me a fee they would charge to come down and 
> evaluate the value of my bobbins? pillows? maybe he even wants me to cost out 
> the threads??

>?

> But seriously, I need advice. How does one value bobbins? 
>?

> I have some nice bone ones, some fancy wood ones, etc...?

>?

> Embarrassed but grateful to anyone who wants to respond to me off list at 
>?

> [email protected]?

>?

> Thanks very much to all in advance. I keep saying when my life settles down 
> I'm getting back to lace... One of the projects I'm trying to salvage is a 
> 3/4 done edging for what I hope to be my daughter's wedding handkerchief... 
> Started it when she was 7, now she is 15... I still ahve some time but...?

>?

> Again, apologies to the list but thanking anyone who can help,?

>?

> Sincerely?

>?

> Carrie Salafia?

>?

> -?

> To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:?

> unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to?

> [email protected]?

>?

>   

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]

Reply via email to