Hi Clay and all

What a can of worms you opened!

Copyright - the way I understand it is that thoughts (ideas) can't be copyright but once that thought is made tangable (music written down or recorded, words, house plans recorded etc) then it becomes copyrightable. Depending on which country you live in decides if the copyright is automatic (eg Australia) or needs to be registered (eg US)

As far as bobbins go - hmm, I don't know of anyone testing the legal waters on this but I believe that the way to tell an individual's bobbin style is that they have particular elements of bobbin shapes that are always used. eg; Springett has a distinctive head that he uses

But - what happens when Mr Springett gets Mr X an employee to make a few bobbins in his style - does it become known as a Springett bobbin like a Holden car is still a Holden car? I don't know.

But - and this is a big but - I can take a photo of my holden car and put it on my website saying it is my holden car. I am not saying I own the copyright of that make, model or anything - just that this particular holden car is mine. Would that argument work in this instance? I would think so as we are not trying in any way to 'own' the copyright, in fact we are acknowledging the original source of the bobbin by naming the bobbin maker in the description. It may even aid new bobbin makers to see other makers work rather like an artist going to an art gallery to see a Picaso and a Lovell.

I will stick my neck out and say that I am very willing to put the pictures up as long as the description includes the name of the bobbin maker. So all you who have the photo and makers details please send them to me with the subject line of bobbin site. I will start the pages up today and add to it as you send me info.

Jenny Brandis
Kununurra, Western Australia
www.brandis.com.au/Arachne
je...@brandis.com.au

Clay Blackwell wrote:
I guess my only concern is whether this will in any way infringe on their copyrights?