From: catherine
To: lace-c...@arachne.com
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2009 7:15 AM
Subject: pattern prickings

<I am thinking I have heard that Architect's paper makes good lace pricking
paper/parchment........ >

Yes , you are correct Sue.  Architect's linen is used for needlelace and is
placed over the pattern and 2 or 3 layers of calico before couching down the
outline of the pattern through all layers.  This is to prevent one's needle
catching on the fabric, also giving a stable foundation on which to work.
Someone also mentioned Ruskin work using leather cloth before removing threads
and this is used for exactly the same reason.

I have been given to understand that computers have now replaced the need for
Architect's linen but anyone you know who makes needlelace would be most
grateful to receive some.

Catherine Barley
Henley-on-Thames
UK