The person who makes these bobbins is Richard Pikul who lives in Ontario. He designed them himself, with consultation from a relative in England who is a lacemaker. They were designed to be used instead of spangled bobbins, and the weight he puts inside the bobbin gives it a perfect balance. I have quite a few of them now, and really enjoy using them.

Clay

L.Snyder wrote:
Hi Noelene;
I have in my possession some bobbins that are weighted. Originally they would have been hollow. They do not have spangles, just a little wooden button on the end that would be holding the weight in. Mine are square.

I got these at IOLI this summer from the Canadian Lacemaker Gazette. Their turner must have got the idea from somewhere. Bev Walker might know.

I like my pair :-)
Lauren Snyder