I don't think it depends entirely upon the airline!  It also depends
largely on the security restrictions at the airport you are flying from.

As I have already posted to MariCarmen off forum, Malvary normally knits on
her way to the UK but isn't allowed to knit on the way home.  This is
nothing to do with Air Canada, but the higher security at the UK airports which
will still not allow scissors, nail clippers, tweezers, knitting needles or
anything that could possibly be considered to be a weapon (or possably a
detonator?).  Although you *may* get through, is it worth the risk as your hold
luggage is long gone, so you have no choice but for the item to be
confiscated.

Jacquie