hottl...@neo.rr.com writes:

> Now a question--has anyone used a cereal box as an inexpensive
> alternative for pricking card?

All the time under either graph paper or a photocopy pricking.  Not so
often if I want to ink onto the card.  It's good if you want to
prick-as-you-go
because it is a little softer than real pricking card, so you can use all
but the finest pin to make the hole.

It's what we were given to work on at the lace class in Moscow, so now I
wouldn't dream of teaching Michailov lace using anything else  <VBG>

I wouldn't use it if I wanted to use the pricking more than once - in the
way you might use two lengths of pricking to leapfrog on a block pillow or
round a roller pillow - as it does break down more easily than the very
compressed pricking card.

Also the backs of greetings cards, or just two layers of the 160grams per
sq metre art type card, that will feed happily through a photocopier.

Now a question, does anyone know what *real* pricking card is actually made
for.  I don't believe it's made for lace makers only; we just re-purpose it
as it does the job we want.  In much the same way as the very fine silk
mesh which is sold for an exorbitant figure in tiny pieces for doll house
scale
embroidery is actually silk screen printing mesh.  (When I bought it as a
length about 20 years ago it was nearly £100 a metre, but selling it on to
the dolls house club members in 10cm squares, at considerably less than the
small-piece commercial going rate, I still trebled my money.)  And another
example would be architects linen which was obviously never made for needle
lacers.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire