I am not a fan of tying thread to bobbins either unless it is the only
way for the person I'm teaching to get on with lacemaking. Fiddling
with knots is time-consuming. Use more thread - it is the least of our
expenses, yes?

I use the amount of thread on the bobbin as an anchor, *a tool in
itself* and I don't skimp on the thread unless I have to, in which
case I will have a leader cord on the bobbin.

--
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west
coast of Canada