In message <4cc58b5b.7010...@comcast.net>, Joy Beeson <joybee...@comcast.net> writes
When someone on a sewing forum was in search of lace fabric,
I discovered that not all of the Nottingham machines are in
museums:

In years gone past some machines went to Scotland, others to France (and from there to Australia!). To be called Nottingham Lace, it has to be made on a machine that was built in Nottingham. However, there was a big thing made in the Nottingham paper a year or three back (can't remember exactly when) which mother-in-law pointed out to us of the last of the lace factories in Nottingham closing. I can also remember when I bought some lace edgings in the indoor market in Nottingham - I think for my daughter's christening, 23 years ago - being told then that there wouldn't be lace made locally much longer as there were few factories left, cheap imports having taken over and the old machines being irreparable. The trader was referring in particular to the "picture" pieces, I think made on Levers machines? This impending scarcity would of course cause the price to go up.
--
Jane Partridge