On 10/10/10 10:25 AM, Darlene Wainwright wrote:

I don't think painter's masking tape would leave a residue.

I learned the hard way that if you leave masking tape on
longer than a painter would, the glue sort of cures and
becomes harder to get off than glue that's meant to be
permanent.  Fortunately, I learned it by taping a poster to
a glass window for a few days, so a razor blade took it off.

Sticky-note tape (used to be called "repositionable
correction tape"; now that typewriters are obsolete, they
call it "cover-up tape") probably wouldn't leave a visible
residue, but I wouldn't use it on anything that wasn't
intended to be washed.  I haven't noticed stains on my
sewing patterns, altered with sticky-note tape, but I don't
care about stains on the patterns and haven't been looking.

--
Joy Beeson
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/