In message <aanlktine2wjrffymk-gbzew6ummg1t4rbnvkxf91j...@mail.gmail.com>, bev walker <walker.b...@gmail.com> writes
I suppose if one knew one's habits, one could apply a tiny bit of a
hooks-and-eye dot (the hooks part - thank you Jane Partridge) to the
neck of one's bobbins and use that to anchor the thread.

I use that for getting hair out of plugholes, but wouldn't have thought it would work on a bobbin - more likely to cause hassle as it would trap several layers of thread wrapped round the neck, rather than just the beginning?

I never knot threads onto bobbins before I start winding - always trap the first half inch or so under subsequent winds, as I was taught, and haven't had any problems with that. If the hitch slips, it is probable that the hitch was made in the wrong direction, though occasionally with springy thread it will come off (but if that is the case I use my hook bobbins where possible). If the thread is coming to the end at the end of a piece, and looks to be enough to finish, then I'll tie a bit of another thread on to hold it on the bobbin. I twist new threads in, but only the number of twists of the stitch before (taking the twists off and re-twisting with the new thread in place).

Once, when I was using a very expensive tubular silk thread, and only needed an inch or so on each bobbin (for the purple tufts of a thistle in Honiton I was making as a brooch) I threaded the small lengths of silk thread onto lengths of Perle 8 cotton and used that to hold it on the bobbins - then once the lace had been worked, removed the support threads.

--
Jane Partridge