elationrelat...@yahoo.com writes:

> Bobbin lacers, do some of you pre-prick also (aside from the lace styles
> that are almost
> exclusively done that way).

Yes, nearly always.  Only two exceptions.  The first would be a very course
lace where in proportion to the hole spacing, it doesn't really matter if
the hole is dead centre on the dot or just anywhere on the dot.*  Pricking as
you go, the latter is more likely to happen.  Here I might do it first, or
just start and prick as I go, or prick a bit ahead and then catch up, but
the holes are not as 'available' once the threads are hanging across them.
Apart from the accuracy, it is easy to miss dots when working and although
even less experienced lacemakers usually grind to a halt fairly quickly, they
are sometimes left in a quandry as to what the mistake is - pricking or
lacemaking, so why make life harder than it needs to be.

*If you don't think this is important, print a row of full stops from the
computer then prick along it making sure the point goes through the dot, but
deliberately going as near to a different edge of the dot each time.  From
the photocopy it will look OK as the odd spaced holes are inside the black
dots, but when you see the row beneath it usually focusses the mind on
pricking carefully.  Some of the earlier books suggest that you actually prick
along the edge of a ruler for important straight rows such as the footside and
the first row inside the footside, as so long as these are absolutely
straight, the eye loses unevenesses in the ground.

The second is on an outline pattern for Withof or other such part laces.
Milanese I far prefer to prick as I go, as the thread will tell me how far
the pin needs to be placed from the previous pin and by carefully centering
the pin on the line and then settling the edge stitch and tweaking the pin if
necessary, the outside edge can be kept smooth, sometimes even better than
the original drawing.  This can however cause problems when I am doing
designs for students to work, as I find it harder to trace over the holes on a
worked pricking than to dot in over a continuous line.  I need to get a new
scanner and do it electronically instead.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire