As Pat will soon find out, the nicest pricking to work on is one done on
card, and then inked in.  Without the plastic layer, you can feel where the
holes are.  With the plastic layer the holes close back up so it is hard to
feel them and then hard to push the pin through.

Make sure you use a needle in the pricker that is the same size or slightly
smaller than the pins you are to use.  Use either waxed paper between the
photocopy and the card, or just rub over the back of the pricking with wax of
some sort; I use beeswax as DH is a beekeeper so there's always some
around, but a candle works just as well.  The old way was to dip the pricker
into
a wax block ever few holes; a gunky waxy lump soon forms against the bottom
of the needle.  It was a light bulb moment when someone showed me how to rub
the wax onto the paper to save all that extra work.  But with the thick
card it will be hard work pricking without any wax to lubricate it.

The very heaviest card is only 'needed' for lace like Honiton or Duchesse
where you are going to do a lot of needlepin sewings - so you don't end up
scratching a hole right through as you try to achieve them - but it can of
course be used for any lace.

But you don't need to reverse technology as far as a dip pen, unless you
are very comfortable using one.  Lots of the fine fibre tip (0.1) pens are
waterproof and indelible, and for drawing curves for spiders legs (my preferred
method to straight lines radiating from the centre hole) or to be able to
do the trails as a fluent continuous zigzag they are much easier to use.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire