To: "Jean Nathan" <j...@nathan54.freeserve.co.uk>
Cc: <>
Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2011 4:26 PM
Subject: Re: [lace] What would you do?

As a criminal defense attorney, I can tell you that the 'crimes' we're discussing are on the very border between criminal behavior and rudeness. There is no crime anywhere of criminal rudeness, or criminal lack of manners. When one approaches this line, in Carol's case, where no one is really hurt, things aren't damaged very much, nothing is taken that can be proved, the police are reticent in pressing charges unless the putative defendant is a character well known to them. Once a possible reason for the damage is pure accident, the likelihood of getting a conviction drops through the basement, and the inevitable happens. A police officer is not going to be convinced by broken threads. We would be, and clearly Carol's emotional damage is deplorable, as she didn't even try to untangle for months. Shouldn't happen, but it does. Sad. No deliverance from evil on that day, no peace.

As for the destruction of the vases, I am not a British barrister, but an American criminal defense attorney. In America, if the prosecution cannot prove at least criminal recklessness, (which is a disregard for the substantial likelihood that the damage will happen) beyond a reasonable doubt, they won't win. Period. Here, the man tripped over his own shoelaces. An accident, not a crime. As for a civil case, I'm not as sure, as I don't practice civil law, but I think that they have to prove the defendant breached a duty of care. Tripping over shoelaces probably won't do it. Accidents do happen without fault.

Lyn in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US, where the snow isn't melting fast enough, but it is melting, and no more snow is predicted.