Dear Jean,

Not only could you make the tubular bits with a circular needle, but with a knitting dolly - a wooden cotton reel or similar with the appropriate number of small nails around the centre hole. I used to make yards of the stuff as a child and did actually once make two coils sewn together to make a bag. Never did find another use for it.

My sister's grandchildren are going through this phase of "French Knitting" right now, and she's taught them how to join the cord into loops to make flowers - much quicker and more practical for kids than trying to make yards and yards of the wretched stuff and then joining it into a long coil for a pot holder!!!

David in Ballarat