---- Alex Stillwell <alexstillw...@talktalk.net> wrote:
These ideas about using thorns and fish bones have been around for a long time.
Has anyone actually tried using thorns or fishbones to make lace? I mean the
very fine lace made at the time the thorns were supposed to have been used. Did
they work or not?-----

Still not directly to your question, Alex, but I remember talking to a
Brazilian biologist.  She was not a lacemaker, but she told me about seeing
women in a certain part of Brazil that has a bobbin lace tradition.  We found
pictures of them using thorn pins.  It was coarse lace (not the stuff made with
240 cotton in early Europe), about like the modern Chinese designs in stores
these days.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com