Pins have been around for a very long time but they have never been a cheap
item to purchase.

A phrase that you may have come across is 'pin money' used these days to
describe a job that pays badly but in the Regency / Victorian period 'pin
money' was what was often left to someone to buy household essentials such as
pins.

Pins during the English Civil War period and the Restoration (mid to late
1600s) were often lengths of brass with a burr on the top to create the head
as even this extra bit cost more money.

I'm sure there are some references to pins and their costs in Romanze of the
Lace Pillow by Thomas Wright.

Pins as we know it are a complex thing to manufacture and this is why with the
commercial need for them dropping we have seen the gradual loss of certain
types of pin manufacture and pin manufacturers.

When I started making lace I was able to buy 3" bodkin pins which I used to
buy in packets of 10 from Hornsbys for about 2 or 3 pounds.  I would take any
large beads that I had and glue them just below the head to make divider
pins.

About 10 years ago these pins became really rare and almost unobtainable after
the man manufacturer in the UK stopped making them because the market for them
had become very, very small and it was not commercial viable to make them.
When I've ask bobbin makers what they are now using for the pin part of their
dividers that they turn, most are using thick needles.  One even told me that
they used to cut off the top of the pins in order to put them into the handles
they made so that needles were a better idea.

>From a practial point of view, do you guys stop using bent pins?  If I was
looking to replace my brass pins with something else then I would need
something that was continuously available and was straight.

Fish bones are not that straight and they are either very flexible (so bendy)
when fresh or easily shatter when dried out.

Thorns are normally tappered towards the point which means that they can be
rather thick at one end - for me, this would cause problems if I was working
on very close work then the pins would start to crowd each other.  I think
that I would have problems fitting them all in.

Kind Regards

Liz Baker

thelace...@btinternet.com

My chronicle of my bobbins can be found at my website:
http://thelacebee.weebly.com/