Hi Everybody:

> "chip carving became so popular in later Victorian times as a "great many"
> ladies-of-leisure took it up as a hobby".

> Now there is a thought ... Lace maker ladies carving their own bobbins?
> MMMmmmm!

I just thought to mention - although many women have no doubt whittled their
own bobbins, the reference is to chip carving which is a decoration technique
applied to previously-existing wooden surfaces. I think the comment about
Victorian ladies chip-carving bobbins probably meant that they were purchasing
undecorated bobbins and then apply chip-carving to the bulbs.

For chip-carving images, see pictures at:
http://books.google.com/books?id=A1KiyRXA_g8C&source=gbs_similarbooks

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)